11Jun 2015

Kansas Driver’s Permits

In Kansas, all teen drivers are required by the Kansas Department of Revenue (DOR) to go through a graduated driver licensing (GDL) program before they get an unrestricted driver’s license. The first step is getting a learner’s permit.

You should consider taking a driver’s education course if you would like to bypass some of the testing requirements. The driver’s education course will not only waive some DMV tests, but it will also help you to be a  more responsible driver when you obtain your unrestricted driver’s license.

Kansas Learner’s Permit

For you to be eligible for a learner’s permit in Kansas, you must be at least 14 years old. To apply you will need to visit your local Kansas DOR office with the following documents:

  • Proof of identity
  • Proof of your KS residency.
  • Pass a vision test.
  • Pass the written permit test.
  • Pay the required fees:
    • $20 permit fee.
    • $8 photo fee.
    • $3 testing fee.

For 14 and 15 year olds, they must be accompanied by their parents or have approval from them.

A driver holding a learner’s permit must be supervised by a driver who has a valid driver’s license and is above 21 years old. Except from the driving supervisor, they must not have anyone in the front seat and they must not use a mobile phone unless it is an emergency.

Restricted/Provisional Driver’s License

For you to be eligible for a restricted Kansas driver’s license you must meet the following requirements: You must have held your learner’s permit for more than one year, you must be at least 15 years old, you must have parental approval and you must have completed at least 25 hours of behind-the-wheel driving practice, including 10 hours at night.

Less Restricted Provisional License

When you turn 16 years old, some of the restrictions on your driver’s permit will fall off, but not all of them. With the Less Restricted Provisional License you are allowed to drive between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m., to and from work, school and religious worship service held by a religious organization. For more information visit the Kansas Department of Revenue (DOR).


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *