Drivers Permits in Virginia
Due to the fact that teen drivers are the most vulnerable to crashes and injuries, Virginia has implemented a Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) program. Under the GDL program, teens must reach certain milestones and pass test before you obtain the unrestricted driver license.
Obtain your Virginia learner’s permit is the first steps on your path to your Virginia driver’s license.
Virginia Learner’s Permit
When applying for your learner’s permit, you will also be required to complete the application process for your driver’s license. However, you must meet the following requirements: you must be at least 15 years and 6 months and you must have a written consent from your parents or legal guardian if you are below 18 years old.
To apply visit your local VA DMV office and submit the following documents:
- A complete Driver’s License and Identification Card Application (Form DL 1P).
- Proof of identity
- Proof of U.S citizenship
- Proof of Virginia residency
- Proof of your social security number
- Payment for the $3 permits fee and an addition of $4 license fee.
After you obtain your learner’s permit you can start practicing driving but you must be supervised by a licensed driver who is at least 21 years and seating next to the driver seat or a licensed parent, legal guardian, brother or sister who is at least 18 years old.
Virginia Restricted License
You must be at least 16 years and 3 months old to apply for your Virginia Restricted License. In addition, you must have held your learner’s permit for more than 9 months without any convictions.
To apply, visit your local VA DMV office and submit the following documents:
- Your Driver’s Ed completion certificate.
- Proof of completing the required 45 hours of behind-the-wheel training time.
- A completed Virginia Driver’s License application (form DL 1P). The form must be signed by your parent or legal guardian.
- Proof of identity
- Proof of legal presence in the U.S
- Proof of Virginia residence proof of social security number
In addition to the above requirements, you will also need to pass a vision test and a road skills test.