Oregon Learner’s Permits
In Oregon, the Department of Transportation (DOT) Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division (DMV) is responsible for the issuing of learner’s permits to new drivers. DOT requires that you complete certain milestones, follow driving restrictions and hold your learner’s permit for a certain period of time before applying for a driver’s license.
Oregon Learner’s Permit
You must be at least 15 years old in order to get your Oregon learner’s permit. To apply visit your local Oregon DMV office with the following documents:
- A completed Application for Driving Privileges or ID card (Form 735-173). The application must be signed by your parent or legal guardian.
- Proof of school enrollment, completion or, exemption
- Proof of your full name
- Proof of legal presence in the U.S
- Proof of Oregon residency
- Proof of social security number
- Payment of $23.50 learner’s permit fee and an addition of $5 written permit test fee
In addition to the documents above, you will need to pass a written knowledge exam and vision test.
While holding your learner’s permit, you are only allowed to drive under the supervision of a licensed driver who must be at least 21 years old. In addition, your supervising driving must be seated next to the driver seat.
To obtain your Oregon provisional license you have to meet the following requirements. You must be at least 16 years old, you must have held your Oregon learner’s permit for more than six months and you must completed either 100 hours of supervised driving or 50 hours of supervised driving practice and Driver’s Ed.
To apply, you will need to visit the OR DMV and:
- Present a driver’s education completion certificate or pass a driving test
- Pass a written test
- Submit your learner’s permit
- Pay the $25 driver’s license fee and $9 driving test fee
With your provisional license you will need to adhere to the following restrictions: For the first six months, you are not allowed to drive with a passenger under 20 years old unless he or she is a family member and you are not allowed to drive between 12 a.m. and 5 a.m. For the second you are not allowed to drive with more than three passengers bellow the age of 20 years unless they are family members and you cannot drive between 12 a.m. and 5 a.m.