Drivers Permits in West Virginia
In an effort to reduce the rate of fatalities and accidents among teens, West Virginia has initiated a Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) program. Under the GDL teens are required to reach certain milestones prior to getting an unrestricted driver’s license.
Obtaining your learner’s permit (instruction permit) is the first step on your path to your West Virginia driver’s license.
You must be at least 15 years old to apply for your instruction permit. In addition, you must pass a written test.
To apply, visit your local DMV Regional Office and submit the following documents:
- A completed Application for driver’s License or ID card (Form DMV-DS-23P), it must be signed by your parent or legal guardian.
- A Driver’s Eligibility certificate
- Proof of identity
- Proof of social security number
- Two documents proving your West Virginia residency
While holding your learner’s permit you must adhere to the following restrictions:
- You must be supervised by a licensed driver who is at least 21 years old.
- You are only allowed to drive between the hours of 5:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m.
- You may only have two passengers in the car that are not your family members.
- All passengers must use safety belts
- You should not use a mobile phone while driving
- You must follow a zero tolerance to drugs policy.
Intermediate Driver License
To be eligible to apply for your intermediate driver license you must be at least 16 years old, you must have held your Lerner’s permit for more than six months, you must have had no traffic violations in the past 6 months and you must have completed at least 50 hours of supervised driving, with 10 hours being at night.
To apply, you will need to visit the West Virginia DMV and:
- Submit your 50-Hour Certification Log for Driver’s License Application under Age 18 (Form DMV-10-GDL).
- Provide proof of your school enrollment.
- Pay the $5 intermediate driver’s license fee.
In addition to the above requirements, you will also need to pass your driving test.
You will be eligible to apply for your unrestricted driver’s license after holding your intermediate license for more than one year and you are at least 17 years old.