Drivers Permits in Texas
To be eligible for your permit in Texas, you need to meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 15 years old.
- Pass the classroom component of Driver’s Ed.
- Visit (in person) your local Texas licensing office.
- Complete an Application for Driver License or Identification Card (Form DL-14A).
- Provide proof of your residency, residency, and identity and school enrollment/completion.
- Pass the written permit test.
- Pay the $16 learner’s permit fee.
Texas Learner License
You must be at least 15 years old to be eligible for your learner license in Texas. In addition, you must have passed a Texas driver’s education course.
To apply, visit your local Texas DPS office in person and submit the following documents:
- Proof of identity
- Proof of U.S citizenship
- Proof of Texas residency (two documents)
- Your social security number
- A high school diploma or a completed Verification of Enrollment and Attendance (VOE)
- A completed Application for Driver License or Identification Card (Form DL-14A), the form must be signed by your parent or legal guardian
- Any of the following driver education forms:
- A Texas Driver Education Certificate (Form DE-964)
- A Texas Driver Education Certificate (Form DE-964E)
- A Classroom Instructor Driver Education Affidavit (Form DL-90A)
- Pay the $16 learner license fee
In addition to the above requirements, you will need to pass the written knowledge exam.
While holding your Texas Learner License, you have to drive under the following restrictions: you can only drive when supervised by a driver who is more than 21 years and has a valid driver’s license and you cannot use a mobile phone while driving unless it is an emergency.
Minor Restricted Driver License (MRDL)
The DPS also offers a Minor Restricted Driver License or the hardship license for those who can prove hardship and a necessity to drive. Hardship circumstances include a financial family hardship, illness of family members or other acceptable circumstances that may warrant a minor to drive.
You must meet the following qualification to be eligible for a MRDL: you must be at least 15 years old; you must have completed Driver’s Ed and have a qualifying hardship.